Monday, March 7, 2011

Amaryllis in Blueberry

9/10 stars.

The main reaction I received while carrying Amaryllis in Blueberry around was "Well, isn't that just like The Poisonwood Bible? (another great book, by the way!!)
I'll say this: Yes, Amaryllis in Blueberry does share semblance to TPB, however they are each wonderful novels in their own right.

Amaryllis kept me going, and I was especially happy when I discovered [MINOR SPOILERS] that Amaryllis has synesthesia, a disease that I am utterly fascinated by.

Back to the review... the cover alone is worthy of nine stars, and the story behind the cover is well worth opening up that front flap. This novel is told through about seven points of view, but is done so in a way that the reader can still easily understand all of the goings-on. Each of the daughters had a distinct personality, even though three of the four had the same first name- Mary. However, each of these girls is known by her second name: Grace, Catherine/Catie, and Tessa (oldest to youngest). Amaryllis, also know as Yllis is different in both name and personality, and this the reader is easily drawn to her. She is also the only character to tell her story in first person.

Yllis is my favorite character in the novel, for her insightfulness, vivacity and simply how ALIVE she is. This story has mystery in it as well as being a family story, and one of life in the seventies, the story takes place during 1976, with one flashback to 1956.

After finishing Amaryllis in Blueberry, I wanted to know about what happens to everyone after. I fell so in love with these characters, as Christina Meldrum brings them all so alive, even the ones I did not like, I wanted to hear more about, to know what happened with their lives.

A great read, no matter whether or not you have read The Poisonwood Bible.


The two books are very different, and each wonderful in their own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment